This post is also available in: Français
What are Wafflafels?
These Wafflafels I created combine the texture of savory waffles with a little taste of falafel.
To make them, I used all-purpose flour, chickpea flour, eggs, whole milk, water, olive oil, spices, and fresh herbs. I added some bacon to satisfy my teens but you can use ham, sausage, smoked salmon or just leave it out.
I served my Wafflafels with a tahini sauce, but a yogurt sauce such as in my recipe Grilled Vegetable Wrap with Greek Yogurt Sauce would be great too.
They turned out pretty good for a quick lunch and my teens seemed happy with them. Next time, for a nicer look, I will fill the molds in my waffle maker more, by using ½ cup instead of ⅓ cup.
- 100 g chickpea flour
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 2 oz bacon, ham, sausage, or smoked salmon, diced (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml whole milk
- 200 ml water
- 60 ml olive oil or melted butter
- ¼ cup fresh flat parsley, finely cut (or more)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (or more)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup tahini paste
- 6 Tbsp water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp lemon or more to taste
- pinch cumin
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a big bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (chickpea and all-purpose flour, baking powder, cumin, coriander, lemon zest, garlic powder, salt, and pepper). Add eggs, olive oil, milk, and water. Mix well until well-incorporated. Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, add the bacon. When it starts to release fat, add the onions and cook until lightly brown. Set aside. If you use ham or smoked salmon only cook the onions with a little bit of olive oil until lightly brown. Set aside.
- To make the tahini sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini paste, water, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cumin. If it is too thick add more water. Taste and add more salt or lemon as needed.
- Preheat the waffle maker. When the batter is ready, stir in bacon or ham or smoked salmon, cooked onion, fresh parsley, and coriander.
- Grease the hot waffle iron with oil or nonstick spray. Pour the batter, using the amount recommended by the waffle iron manufacturer’s instructions, into the preheated waffle iron. Cook waffles for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. Put each waffle on a wire rack so the steam can escape. Serve immediately with the tahini sauce on the side.