Do you know rhubarb?
Rhubarb is a vegetable, however, its culinary uses are those of a fruit: compote, pie, crumble, and jam of course. You only eat the rhubarb’s stalks, as the leaves are considered toxic because they are too loaded with oxalic acid.
I always have a hard time finding fresh rhubarb in my grocery store when it is in season. But when I find some, I grab all I can because I know that the next time, they will not have anymore. What a shame! I am even thinking to grow some in my garden one day because I really love rhubarb with its unique tangy, fruity flavor.
I like to make this delicious Rhubarb Pie. Rhubarb pairs well with strawberries and apples.
- 800 g rhubarb
- 150 g sugar
- 30 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, half and half or crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon extract vanilla
- 1 sweet dough or pie crust from the store
- Peel the rhubarb stalks and cut them into slices or cubes. Mixed them with 100g of sugar and let it macerate for at least 1 hour.
- Unroll the pie crust and precisely fit it in a tart pan (9 or 11 inches). Poke the dough all over with a fork. Then put the pie in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 390F.
- Drain the rhubarb in a colander.
- In a pan, put the butter and lightly cook the rhubarb, stirring from time to time (must stay tender, do not overcook).
- Remove from the heat and add the rest of the sugar (50 g).
- In a bowl, mix the egg, cream, and extract vanilla.
- Put the rhubarb evenly on the sweet dough, pour the mixed cream egg on it.
- Cook in the oven during 25-30 min.
- Before serving, sprinkle powder sugar on the pie if you want.
- This pie can be eaten lukewarm or cold.
Delicious pie, you have to try …
… without (s)cream !!! to my taste 😉
Cream or no cream, I like both. But I chose the gourmet version for the blog 😉
Thank you for the perfect rhubarb pie recipe! I have never been instructed to peel rhubarb, or lightly cook first – I think it made all the difference. I’m looking forward to trying all your recipes.
In fact, I like to peel the rhubarb to remove the large fibers, but I know that not all people do that. Thank you for visiting my blog.