As I previously said, I love rhubarb and I made this Rhubarb Meringue Pie before it comes to the end of the season.
This version of Rhubarb Meringue Pie is a delightful dessert to enjoy. I was surprised how the pie was incredibly melting in your mouth and the meringue over the top is lightly crisp. There is a nice balance between acidity and sweetness.
Rhubarb Meringue Pie
The Rhubarb Meringue Pie is incredibly melting in your mouth and the meringue over the top is lightly crisp.
- 1 homemade pie crust or from the store
For the filling:
- 500 g (1 lb) rhubarb
- 6 tbs almond powder
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 125 g sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
For the meringue:
- 3 egg white
- 200 g sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Peel the rhubarb stalks (follow this link to see how to do it) and cut them in little cubes. Mix them with 50 g of sugar and let it macerate for at least 1 hour.
- Unroll the pie crust and precisely fit it in a tart pan (9 or 11 inches). Poke the dough all over with a fork. Then put the pie in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 395 F.
- Drain the rhubarb in a colander.
- In your pie dish, evenly pour the almond powder, then the drain rhubarb. Cook for 15 min.
- During this time, mix the eggs and the rest of sugar (75 g). Add the corn starch, then the heavy cream. Mix vigorously.
- After the 15 min. are done, pour the egg mixture on the rhubarb and put again in the oven for 20 min.
- Lower your oven to the minimum temperature (mine is 170 F).
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Pour 1 tablespoon at a time of sugar, then add vanilla extract without stopping to beat. The meringue needs to be stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue over rhubarb mixture to edge of crust with a spatula.
- Verify that your oven is at its lowest temperature before you put your pie in it. Let the meringue dry for approximately 30 min. or more if needed. The meringue will be lightly crunchy. If you do not want it crunchy, put it under the grill (or color with a torch) for a few minutes. For mine, I let the meringue cook for 30 min. and use a torch to give a nice color.
- Unmold the pie on a rack and serve at room temperature.