During winter, especially on a cold evening, I like to eat some braised red cabbage with apples. However my family is not as fond of this dish as myself. So, I looked around and after flipping through my stack of old french magazines I found this new recipe Red Cabbage Gratin to please my picky eaters. I especially like the way it looks with the grilled potatoes on the top.
Everyone like the sweet / salty balance and the little crunch given by the grilled potatoes.
Red Cabbage Gratin
- 1 red cabbage finely sliced
- 300 g (11 oz) smoked ham diced
- 200 gr (7 oz) chesnut cooked (optional)
- 400 g (14 oz) potatoes (=2-3 potatoes) finely sliced
- 2 apples diced
- 2 onions
- 100 ml white wine
- 200 ml chicken stock (made with bouillon cube)
- 50 ml vinegar
- salt, pepper
- Remove the external leaves of cabbage. Cut the cabbage into four. Remove the hard part, then cut finely all the four pieces.
- Blanch 5 minutes the cabbage in boiling salted water and vinegar.
- Peel and chop the onions. In a saute pan, put some oil and the onions. Cook them until they are transparent. Add the apples peeled and diced. Cover and let cook during 5 minutes.
- Add the drained cabbage, the smoked ham diced and chesnuts (optional). Cover. Cook during 15 minutes low heat. Salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven at 360F.
- Pour the white wine and the chicken broth made with bouillon cube in the saute pan. Cover all the dish with the thin slice of potatoes. Add some salt, pepper, oregano and some oil.
- Cook during 1 hour.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply