I found fresh figs in a store and decided to make this Pizza with Figs, Balsamic Onions, and Garlic Herb Cheese. Initially I was thinking to use goat cheese instead of garlic herb cheese (Boursin) but my youngest son is not a fan of strong cheese.
This Pizza with Figs, Balsamic Onions, and Garlic Herb Cheese was definitely a hit with my family. They asked me to make one again and put the recipe on my blog.
We have loved the mix of sweet and savory in this pizza. It is a complete and perfect dinner with a green salad on the side.
Pizza with Figs, Balsamic Onions, and Garlic Herb Cheese
Twist your classic pizza for this sweet and savory pizza.
- 1 pizza dough or this homemade pizza dough:
- 270 g all purpose or bread flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 or 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
Garlic herbs cheese spread:
- 1/2 garlic herbs Boursin cheese (75g)
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp heavy whipped cream
- 1 tsp honey
- black pepper
- 8-10 figs depending on the size
- grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
To make one quick pizza dough:
- In a large bowl, place flour, instant yeast, salt, and mix.
- Gradually add water and olive oil, then knead by hands until the dough is smooth.
- Put your dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm space for at least 30 minutes until the dough doubles in volume. I like to put my dough in a lightly preheated oven.
To make balsamic onions:
- In a skillet, over medium heat, put some olive oil and when it is hot, add the finely-sliced onion, salt, pepper, and sugar, stirring frequently until the onions begin to become soft (around 10 minutes). Add balsamic, and cook until balsamic reduces and onions slightly caramelized. Set aside.
- Preheat oven at 450 F.
To make garlic herbs cheese spread:
- In a bowl, put the garlic herbs Boursin cheese, smash with a fork, then add the plain yogurt, heavy cream, honey and black pepper. Mix well until creamy without lumps.
- Cut the figs in slices or quarters. Set aside.
- Knead dough gently to remove some air. Stretch or roll out the pizza dough in a 14 inches disc on a lightly floured surface. Place on a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Evenly spread the garlic herb mixture on the pizza dough. Arrange the slice or quarter figs evenly then the balsamic onions.
- Sprinkle grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan.
- Put the pizza in the oven for 15 to 20 min. until the crust is golden brown. Enjoy with a green salad on the side.