The Yogurt Cake is one of the first cakes that people often made as a child. Why is this so? Because in this recipe, you use the pot of yogurt as a reference of measurement for the other ingredients.
The success of yogurt cake is its simplicity and rapidity to make it. The fact that the yogurt pot is used as a reference measurement makes this dessert accessible even to children.
For this recipe, I recommend the use of plain yogurt of any brand you like. This time, I tried to use Greek Yogurt instead of regular yogurt and it does not really change the taste at all.
In my recipe, I add some lemon zest, raspberries, and olive oil instead of Canola oil to give more flavor and brightness to the cake. I really like tangy taste of this cake.
Lemon Raspberry Yogurt Cake
- 200 ml Greek yogurt
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 pots (1 cup) sugar
- 3 pots (1 ½ cup) flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 zest of a whole lemon
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat the oven at 360 F
- Mix the eggs with Greek, yogurt, olive oil and the zest of a lemon.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Then, add the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Pour the batter into a buttered round cake pan. Add the raspberries in one by one, pushing them into the batter.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 min until the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted.
What size pan do you suggest 8inch or 9 inch?
Hi Mike, for this cake I used a 9-inch pan.
Thanx for quick response.
Hope you & your family are well during these grim times.
A great recipe, my Amish neighbors ladies asked for the recipe. I had taken the cake to the community picnic. They loved the way it looked – and tasted.
So glad you enjoyed it, Mike! Thank you!