This post is also available in: Français
I had an irresistible desire to make this Kefir Olive Oil Cake with Apples and Raisins with these beautiful autumn-colored apples. It is so comforting with a cup of coffee or tea during a rainy or cold day.
I really love apples (organic) because they are so healthy for you. You know the old adage: “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. That is I am doing every day if I am not using them in my cooking. The kefir and olive oil make a great combo in this healthy snack.
I slice the apples thinly so they cook quickly and become very soft and almost invisible in the cake. I love adding a touch of rum in some desserts and its aroma pairs really well with apple and raisins.
Kefir Olive Oil Cake with Apples and RaisinsPrint Pin Rate
- 3 organic apples (I like Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp, or Golden Delicious)
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml kefir, unsweetened
- 80 ml olive oil
- 2 Tbsp rum
- 150 g flour
- 50 g corn starch
- 120 g cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 g golden raisins
- 30-40 g slivered almonds
- Preheat oven at 355 F.
- In a bowl, whisk (by hand, no need for electric mixer) the eggs, kefir, olive oil, and dark rum.
- In another bowl mix the flour, corn starch, the baking powder, and sugar.
- Then add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, and whisk just enough to blend the flour (do not overmix).
- Peel and core the apples, and cut into thin slices. Add them to the batter with the golden raisins and mix gently until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a well-buttered round cake pan (9-inches diameter). Evenly sprinkle slivered almonds over top.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 min depending on your oven or until the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted.
- Before removing the cake from the mold, let it cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Wait until it is completely cooled before slicing.