This post is also available in: Français
For dinner, I made this simple and delicious French Leek Zucchini Ham Quiche. I love to make savory tarts or quiches because they are easy meals that are always welcome at my table. A green salad on the side is a perfect accompaniment.
Quiche is a versatile dish; you can make it with whatever you have in a fridge. There are so many combinations to try with different veggies, spices, meat, or fish.
I added one shredded zucchini in my French Leek Zucchini Ham Quiche to have more vegetables. In my filling, a touch of nutmeg gives more flavor, and the Curcuma a nice color.
I have a fondness for leek and its subtle taste resembling onions and garlic. A few years ago I made this type of quiche with the leek for a celebration at my son’s school. The director asked me what was the little thing that I put in it to make this quiche so tasty.
In cooking, the white and light-green leek is often used in different recipes because it is more tender. However, don’t throw away the dark green part (more fibrous): you can use it with thyme, bay leaf, celery… to create a bouquet garni which adds flavor to broths or soups.
How to easily clean leek:
- Remove the first outer leaves
- Cut the root and the top of green dark leaves
- Split lengthwise
- Under the running water, wash to remove all traces of soil in between the leaves, especially the outer ones. The center ones tend to be cleaner.
- Cut the white and light green part finely. Keep the dark green part in your freezer for other recipes.
MORE IDEAS FOR SAVORY QUICHE OR TART’S RECIPES:
- Broccoli Prosciutto Boursin Quiche
- Spinach and Goat Cheese Tart
- Leek and Bacon Quiche
- Classic French Tomato and Mustard Tart
- Ratatouille and Anchovy Tart
- Sardine and Eggplant Tart
- Eggplant, Tomato, and Mozzarella Tart
French Leek Zucchini Ham Quiche
- 1 tart pan (11-inch).
Easy homemade Olive Oil Crust:
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup water
To make the quiche:
- 2 leeks (only the white and light green part) washed and minced
- 1 zucchini (medium) grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 100 g cooked ham (Black Forest or your favorite) diced
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml milk (whole or 2%)
- 100 ml heavy cream or crème fraiche
- 50 g Gruyère, Comté, or Jarslberg cheese grated
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- salt (not too much because of ham)
- black pepper
To make the homemade Olive Oil Pie Crust:
- In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour and salt by hand. Add the olive oil, mix, and gradually add the water until the dough does not stick to your hands.
- Cover the dough with a dish towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 30 min.
To make the quiche filling:
- In a saute pan, melt butter at low heat, add and cook leek and zucchini until soft (10 to 15mn). Add a little a bit of water if needed, do not burn). Add the ham with the veggies and cook for 5 min. Set aside.
- Preheat oven at 380 F.
- Grease a tart pan (11-inch).
- Lightly flour a flat surface and a rolling pin. Roll out the dough and precisely fit it in a tart pan (11 inches). Poke the dough all over with a fork. Then put the pie in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together, the eggs, milk, cream, salt (not too much because of ham), pepper, nutmeg, and turmeric.
- Take your tart pan from the fridge. Evenly place the mixture of leek and ham. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the veggies. Pour the egg mixture into the tart.
- Bake at 380 F for about 25-30 minutes or until browned.