For you, what is the best dessert to start the season of fall? For me, it is definitely the French Apple Tart filled with a homemade apple sauce and topped with thin slices of apples. It is simple, light, flavorful, and elegant.
I brought this French Apple Tart to a Mom’s Night Out and got so many compliments about it. One slice was left and my husband was happy to eat it when I was back at home 🙂
The same day, I made this other French Apple Pie for a friend. He told me that it was so good that he fought with his two kids to save the last piece.
With this picture I also want to show you that you can put the apples in another pattern, like a flower. Just overlap each slice of apple with each other all around the tart until you reach the center.
With the leftover of dough, I made a little French Apple Tart. This picture shows you that you can make a tart without a mold. Just roll the dough in circle until you reach the size you want on a parchment paper. Spoon the apple sauce over the dough, leaving a 1.5 inch border to fold the dough border over the filling to form a circle.
- 1 homemade pie crust or from the store
- 7 apples (gala or golden delicious)
- 50 g sugar
- juice from half of a lemon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 20 g butter
- To make the apple sauce, take four apples. Peel, cut into fourths, and core them.
- Put them in a sauce pan with the juice from half of a lemon, sugar, cinnamon (put what quantity you like), and 50 ml of water. Cover and let cook for 25 min. Remove any liquid if you need to and mash with a fork. Let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, unroll the pie crust and precisely fit it in a tart pan (11 inches). Poke the dough all over with a fork. Then put the pie in the fridge.
- In a sauce pan, heat honey, butter, and a little bit of cinnamon until everything is melted. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Take the last three apples. Peel them. To have regular slices, cut one side of the apple as closely as possible to the core. Do the same with the three other sides. Then slice every piece of apple very thinly.
- Remove tart from the freezer ,and with a spoon evenly spread the apple sauce all over the tart.
- Put the apple slices in a circle, overlapping them on the applesauce.
- Put in the oven. After 15 min. brush the tart with the mixture of honey, butter, and cinnamon. Cook for additional 15 min. After cooking, you can brush the tart again.