This post is also available in: Français
In my kitchen, I had ripe bananas with dark spots that no one wanted to eat. It was the perfect excuse to make this Classic American Banana Bread!
If you cannot eat the entire bread in one day, don’t worry. It gets even tastier the following day. I must confess that I ate three thin slices in a row! 😮 One of my sons, who hates bananas, even asked for more and wanted it as a snack for school.
Believe me, this Classic American Banana Bread is made with basic ingredients but is so delicious. The key is that the more your bananas ripen, the tastier your bread will be.
Because the bananas will be naturally sweeter, you can reduce the amount of sugar the traditional recipe required from 1 cup to ¾ cup. I also reduce the amount of flour from 2 cups to 1½ cups, giving the bread a more tender texture.
Feel free to add nuts, fruits (such as blueberries, cranberries, dry raisins…) or chocolate chips if you prefer. But even without these, my Classic American Banana Bread is still delicious and flavorful.
When wrapped tightly in foil or plastic wrap, this banana bread will last up to a few days. You can also freeze your banana bread (sliced or whole) and it will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
- 3/4 cup sugar (*)
- 1 butter stick (8 tbsp), melted
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and coarsely mashed
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5- inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and melted butter with an electric mixer about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the mashed bananas to the wet mixture with the milk, and vanilla. Stir with a spatula until well combined. Mixing in the dry ingredients until the flour disappears.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Before removing the cake from the mold, let it cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Wait until it is completely cooled before slicing.